Brodhead Media

Student Teacher Conferences

Back to Article
Back to Article

Student Teacher Conferences

Carissa Blum, Staff Writer

Every year, all around the United States, the education system dabbles in a common conundrum called “Parent-Teacher Conferences.” This is a day when parents of a student gets the chance to talk to the teacher or teachers of their respective children. This often follows with helpful advice or criticism from the teacher on what the child could do to improve. That got the media kids thinking: What would happen if there were Student-Teacher Conferences, and the situation were reversed?

In this feature, we delve into the more comedic element of this situation. Media students Shayla Scheidegger, senior, McKenzie Keller, senior, Dustin Dundee, junior, Allie Fish, junior, Brianna Clark, junior, Saud Alyahya, senior, and Tristan Sauer, senior, along with myself, Carissa Blum, senior, humorously listed our grievances towards our Media teachers, Mrs. Biber and Mr. Ritschard. Although Biber and Ritschard and all the students knew it was being taken in a funny context, the question still remains, should we have Student-Teacher Conferences?

While some of the complaints were only for comic effect, some were legitimate in their reasons behind it. Student Scheidegger said, “You’re, like, never here.” This brings light to student concern of teachers always being absent, and student struggles at the dilemma. And if homework is also given out the days when teachers are gone, students are even more stressed out over the fact that they can’t ask questions on things they don’t understand. But teachers also have things they have to struggle with that don’t relate to school. Should students and teachers have a chance to talk this over in a conference?

Student Fish said, “And your deadlines are impossible to meet!” This hits home on another problem: deadlines. Are students rushed to meet certain date restrictions , and lack the time to make their work their best? Is too much work being thrown at students at the same time, and students can’t meet the deadlines on all expected work? This would be another topic that would benefit from Student-Teacher Conferences.

But all that aside, the teachers in the place of the students is a hoot. Placing them in the positions of parents while the students critique their methods is quite a unique view on the age-old Parent-Teacher Conferences is a fresh, new and insightful idea that may or may not ever come true in the future.